Six fearsome heros
A puzzle by Raphael Finkel.
Grobly Grizik is planning to write a novel fashioned after "Star Trek: The
Next Generation". In this novel, six of the crew members compete both at
Fizzbin and at three-dimensional chess. Each crew member gets two
independent rankings for ability at these games, with 1 ranked lowest and 6
highest. Every crew member has a personal hero among the crew, and every
crew member is afraid of some crew member. Everyone is the hero of somebody,
and everyone is feared by somebody. Nobody either fears him/herself nor
counts him/herself as a hero. Nobody fears his/her own hero. From the given
clues, discover every crew member's ranking at Fizzbin and at
three-dimensional chess, as well as whom he/she fears and whom he/she counts
as a hero.
- Geordi ranks 2 at three-dimensional chess.
- Picard ranks two positions behind Troi at Fizzbin.
- Troi is feared by the person Geordi fears.
- Worf's hero ranks 3 times lower at three-dimensional chess than the crew
member who is best at Fizzbin.
- Picard's hero fears Geordi.
- Data's hero is not Geordi.
- Data is the hero of Riker's hero.
- The person who is worst at Fizzbin is better than Troi at
- The person ranked number 3 at three-dimensional chess is ranked 4
positions higher than Data at Fizzbin.
- Riker is feared by the person Picard fears and is the hero of Worf's
- Riker is ranked 2 lower at three-dimensional chess than the crew member
ranked 2 at Fizzbin.
crew fears fizzbin hero tdchess
========== ========== ========== ========== ==========
data geordi 1 troi 4
geordi picard 3 riker 2
picard troi 2 data 5
riker worf 5 picard 3
troi riker 4 worf 1
worf data 6 geordi 6
More about this puzzle
I built this puzzle with the assistance of puzzle-solving software that I
wrote, along with Wiktor Marek and Mirek Truszczyński.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org (without the underscore) if you want more
You can also try our online Constraint-Lingo evaluator.
If you like Sudoku puzzles, look at our Sudoku puzzle of the
Daniela Milton has translated this page into
Olga Babenko has
this page into Polish.
Aaralyn E. has
this page into Indonesian.
This puzzle and approaches to solving it have appeared in io9.com.