NT administration tools
- Student: Christopher Dotson 6/2000, now at IBM/Lexington
- Purpose: Port
Rdist (Unix administration tools) to work
under Windows NT.
Modify the C source code and compile and run it under the
the publically available
Modify the Perl-based report programs as appropriate to generate NT-like
Modify the Tcl/Tk-based pulse monitors as needed to view NT behavior.
Various approaches were tried without success.
- What the student learned
- NT administration: registry and performance APIs
- Tcl/Tk and Perl programming for reports, pulse monitors.
- Writing applications to derive information from the NT log and performance
counters (this part took considerable cleverness).
- Porting Unix programs with Cygwin.
- Technical writing skills in preparing the
the resulting tools.