KATR: Software for morphological studies in computational linguistics
- Student: Lei Shen 9/1999, now at Bell South Cellular
- Purpose: Compute queries about language morphology
- Method: Morphology of a language (for example, its declensional scheme) is
encoded in default-inheritance hierarchies in the DATR language. This project
extends DATR to include set-based rules, which are of value in Bulgarian and
Swahili. The software is a freshly-written Java program that parses and
compiles the KATR program and then accepts queries on it.
- What the student learned
- Writing a compiler in Java.
(This part took considerable cleverness.)
- Building a detailed specification from a vague starting requirement.
- Adding new features to an existing software package while considering
- Technical writing skills in preparing the write up and packaging
the resulting tool (in
gzip form and in