- Student: Nan Guo 6/2000, now at Celera Genomic
- Purpose: Build a application that lets novice users interact with
any compliant database.
Write a GUI in Java with the JFC/Swing package. The GUI uses RMI (remote
method invocation) to speak with a proxy server, also written in Java. The
proxy server dynamically loads JDBC drivers for databases and uses them to
connect to and interact with the database back-ends, which are vendor-specific.
- What the student learned
- Design and implementation of a three-part network application.
(This part took considerable cleverness.)
- Using JDBC, Swing, and RMI.
- Design of a GUI for databases.
- Technical writing skills in preparing the write up and packaging
the resulting tool (in