Your "Magic Excuse" - The Rules
Every student gets ONE "Magic Excuse".
It gives you a 24-hour extension on a program source code deadline. It
can be used ONE time only.
- You use it by emailing your TA
or Dr. Keen and stating that you want to use it.
You must state your intention to use it BY the
"5 days after the deadline" point. That
is the point that we stop accepting program source code assignments
at all. After that point it is too late to use
your "Magic Excuse" on that program.
- If you do not use your "Magic Excuse" at all during
the semester, it will be worth 10 bonus points on the
Final Exam. Note that this does NOT say 10% bonus, it says 10 bonus points.
Final Exams are typically 250 or 275 points.
- If you use the "Magic Excuse", your program source code is
NOT eligible for any bonus part of the assignment.
So do not use your "Magic Excuse" to try to get the
bonus point part finished.
- The excuse is NOT transferable. You cannot
give it to someone else for their use.
- If your program source is more than 1 day
late, penalties will accrue as usual after the
- This excuse is good only on the implementation phase, the
source code part of the program, not the design.
- This excuse cannot be used on anything but program
assignments. It does not work on labs or quizzes
- This excuse is NOT a 'free pass' not to do the
assignment! It is just a 24-hour extension on the deadline.
You are still expected to complete and submit the
- If you have a UK valid excuse for being late like a documented
illness, death in family, academic trip, religious
holiday, then you do not have to use this excuse! Let
Dr. Keen know about your valid excuse and give her your
documentation and deadlines can be adjusted.
You don't need a Magic Excuse for this!