Graduate Admissions


We are delighted that you are interested in graduate study in CS at the University of Kentucky, and we welcome you! Here is a one-page brochure about the department.  The information on this page is designed to help you learn about our graduate programs.


Contact information

For information, please contact our admissions staff. You can also phone +1-859-257-4997. We try to respond to email within two business days.


We expect graduate students entering our degree programs to demonstrate knowledge of computing, competency in scientific applications, and mathematical maturity. You can demonstrate computing knowledge by extensive experience in the use of high-level programming languages and acquaintance with assembly language. You should have studied data structures and possess knowledge of computing systems, numerical methods, and theoretical computer science. You can demonstrate competency in scientific applications in a variety of ways; experience in applied mathematics, engineering, or any of the sciences is usually sufficient.

We provide several remedial courses for graduate students who lack some of this background. Often students with a background in mathematics or engineering instead of computer science spend a portion of their first two semesters taking these courses.

Application procedure

To apply, you must submit a complete  application to the Graduate School through the ApplyYourself website.

  • You must provide transcripts from all post-secondary institutions at which you have taken courses, whether you got a degree or not.  
  • If you are an international student, the Graduate School requires a signed and documented financial certificate, so when you get a letter of acceptance, you should submit this certificate to the graduate school following the instructions in the letter. Do not send these materials to the Computer Science Department. 
  • All applications must include current GRE scores (within 5 years); international applicants must also include current TOEFL or IELTS scores (within 2 years).  Scanned copies are acceptible for the application, but if you accepted, you are responsible for having your test provider send these scores to the Graduate School. These are the codes you should use:
GRE institution code 1837
GRE department code 0402
TOEFL institution code 1837
TOEFL department code 78
  • If you want financial support, fill out this Assistance Application form , scan it and upload to the ApplyYourself website.
  • Include your resume or CV and other optional materials
  • Include Statement of Purpose: A brief essay explaining why you wish to pursue graduate studies in Computer Science.
  • Arrange for at least three letters of recommendation that must be submitted by the recommenders to the ApplyYourself website

The CS department will access the data you have provided via ApplyYourself

If you have questions, please send an email to .

If you have questions that you wish to direct to the Graduate School, please send an email to Vivian Bowling at . You can also send her a fax with your question to +1-859-323-1928.


If you are an international student or wish to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship or a fellowship, we should have both parts of your application (both to the Graduate School and the Department) by the following dates:

  • For Fall semester: online application and fee: March 15. All materials: April 1.
  • For Spring semester: online application and fee: August 15. All materials: September 1.
  • We only accept applications for the Fall and Spring semesters; admission is not granted for the summer sessions.

If you are a domestic student not looking for financial support, we should have both parts of your application at least one month before your first semester starts.

Deferring admission

If you have been admitted to the Department of Computer Science but need to defer that admission to a later semester, inform the Graduate School by updating your application. If the Graduate School granted you a Scholarship, it does not automatically renew that grant after you have deferred your admission. If you have been granted financial assistance by the Department of Computer Science, send email to; we do not guarantee that the grant will still be in force when you arrive.

Transfers among departments and programs

If you are already admitted to the Graduate School in some other department and you wish to transfer to Computer Science, you must update your application with the Graduate School. You must also submit to the Computer Science the materials listed above. We will evaluate your application the same way we evaluate new applications.

If you are currently a Masters student in Computer Science and wish to join the PhD program in Computer Science (or the reverse), you must update your application with the Graduate School. You should also speak to the DGS of Computer Science, who will decide whether or not to approve your request.

Financial support

If you want financial support, fill out this Assistance Application form , scan it and upload to the ApplyYourself website.

Starting Fall 2010, the Department will offer up to two Newbery Fellowships and two Verizon Fellowships to outstanding incoming PhD students. Both fellowships provide the same benefit: a generous stipend and tuition expenses for the student's first year. For the second year, they guarantee a TA position if the student has not acquired an RA position. Students entering in Spring are considered for awards starting the following Fall.

The Department has about 15 Teaching Assistant (TA) positions that it allocates to graduate students. Only about 6 such positions open every year. We give priority to PhD students (not MS students) with a high degree of English fluency. We test all international TAs to assess their English abilities and assign them to appropriate duties, ranging from grading (the lowest) to conducting classes (the highest).

Many faculty members have grants that fund research assistant (RA) positions. The faculty members choose how to allocate these positions; they typically choose PhD students who have demonstrated interest and ability in the particular area of research that the faculty member is conducting.

Students who arrive without financial support can often find positions on campus, but they need to search for these positions. Individuals on student visas are only allowed to accept campus jobs; other students may also look beyond the campus. See this site for more details.